Thursday 7 May 2009

Luton Music profile-Phil Gordon


Luton Music Profile talks Pies, Naked Lunches and Metal!




Phil Gordon is a man with fingers, fingers in many musical pies. Some would compare him to Frey Bentos or any other leading pie maker like Pukka. But I don’t, I see him as one of the many people in Luton who have wide and varied musical differences which has crafted the person. So in this Luton music profile im looking at Phil Gordon seeing what makes him tick musically.



Phil very much like everyone who grew up in the late eighties in Luton had a love for those iconic pink flamingo’s high above the Arndale, But musically Phil grew up with the genre especially the Nu-metal flavours at the time. “I’ve always been into Metal, its part of my musical heritage.” Proudly claims Phil, whose tentative years was built up on attending the shows of D.T.A and fondly referring to seeing Enter Shakiri as the “Glory Days.” Musically Phil dipped in and out of styles and trends just like any teen listening to the likes of Grime, Indie, the horrific crossover Grindie & his secret passion old school Garage.


Fond of a Thursday night at local night spot Envy Phil is unashamedly a fan of modern & Old school Garage, “It all just reminds me of Luton for some stupid reason, its jokes you don’t have to take it seriously I certainly don’t but loads of people do in Luton which is even funnier.” Phil flew the nest away from Luton and onto the wonders of Birmingham which has definitely shaped his current musical passions.


Whilst away Phil spied friends such as Craig Watkins & David Boa expressing themselves though mixes and like a curious puppy he followed suit. He slowly stated Dj’ing Indie and heavier music, (Yours truly gave him his first hour slot) but soon Phil found his niche in mixing and mashing up, Dubstep Electro & stupid remixes of pop stars. Whilst hitting Birmingham alternative hotspots such as Panic & Subway City. Phil was soon making waves and starting hooking up with people who could make things happen in Brum. “I just got invited to play at Naked Lunch, and it was awesome, full of cool people and I’ve just been invited back.” Mixing in these styles of Old school baseline, Party Track and whatever in between has served to be Phil’s strength by mixing up what he does, “It’s a cliché but I genuinely like loads of different styles and I want to keep it like that.”


Keeping up his reputation as the Nightwolf, a name which is part anchored in Ron Burgundy a man Phil notes as a constant source of inspiration & some of his antics in the first year in Birmingham. “I came back from an evening of fun with a lady and I just got labelled it, it kinda stuck although I hate when people ask about it.” Looking to the future and it’s looking bright at a recent Dj gig I seen Phil chatting toRaffertie , a uber cool dubstep dj/ remixer who has the ear of Mary Ann-Hobbs. He’s also ‘down’ the amorously named Gutter Skank Crew whose rawkus party ethos is slowing making waves in Brum. So for Phil he’s taking it as it comes partying hard and laying down beats, and who could blame him. His ethos towards the music, his outlook to life and importantly his healthy respect for his roots is pretty unique, congratulations Mr Bentos, I mean Phil.


Phil gave me some tunes he was into recently!



1-Rolo Tomassi- I Love Turbulence


After so much talk about metal I thought it would be appropriate to include an example. The fact that this band are so young should be suprising enough, but the lead singer is also a hot girl haha. Rolo Tomassi and Throats are the best new UK metal bands in my opinion

2- Caspa feat. Dynamite MC : Rat-a-tat


I love going to raves where they have MC's hyping the crowd all night and think this captures that vibe perfectly.

3- Township Funk (Jayou VIP Remix)



This is definately one of the best songs of last year. There are so many remixes of this, but Jayou's version is my favourite. Wait for the drop when it properly kicks in, I cant wait to drop this next week at Rainbow and the Warehouse. Jayou's remix of Chase and Status' 'Eastern Jam' is definately worth checking out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment