Wednesday 11 February 2009

Luton Music profile-David Boa


David Boa has always been one of those interesting people whilst I was at sixth form collage, he was a year above me but he stood out to me during my time at Luton sixth. He seemed really dedicated to his courses and I always remember him stuck in one of the art studio’s most of the time. Even on lunch breaks when most kids sat quietly in the canteen or tried to impress girls by playing football David would always be working away at something.


My interest in him was fascinated by his desire to do well and just always work. Not to mention whatever David seemed to touch graphically looked fantastic if slightly left field and odd. I clearly remember one drawing David created of a man looking at a stamp which just made me smirk, the image stood triumphal and indeed stayed there long on the wall of the art studio after David moved onto university in Norwich.


Yet I never really knew David or Boa as he likes to be called, I kind of knew him through friends really, but not that well. However that all changed as through our hobby we met up created a secret society called SHH! (No joke) and we all done our said hobby together in a group. It had a relative amount of success, and our secret hobby lead us to run and play evenings all over the country, I’ll leave David to explain more.

I am able to catch up with David in a chilly basement of local nightspot Manhattans in my home town of Luton, much has happened in-between that drawing that made me laugh so much. That’s why I decided to interview David to see what’s going on with him particularly in relation to a hobby he started before he left for university.


MF: So David want to give us some insight into your dj’ing and how you got involved with Dark Party and the Basement

D.B: Well a group of us in Luton just started to DJ just before I went off to university it came from us all going out to the same places in Luton. We just got together thanks to this guy Ginger John and we just put a night on. We didn’t really know each other and we all played the same stuff and we went from there.


MF: So what kinda stuff did you and the other guys play?

D.B well the style has changed a lot, I basically house music it’s a mixture of tech house & electro and jackin’ beats kinda stuff. It’s pretty much electro with loads of Indie remixes which I guess goes down well with the crowd who goes to Dark Party. The music we play is easily accessible and it’s very jump up and fun.


MF What about this Ginger John guy don’t you think it was a great idea to get us all together?

D.B I Think Ginger John massively helped us out I don’t think I wouldn’t be Dj’ing as much without his help. Just by noticing about us guys and what we did. I mean we had a couple of Indie Dj’s like yourself but also a few electro Dj’s and he just brought us together and off the back of this we have all become friends like me and you but also all the other guys as well. But off this it’s good to network as well because Alex & Craig are still studying at the moment and it’s nice because you have the opportunity to take the dj further afield. I and the guys have dj’ed in Bournemouth together and we are also djing in London soon which should be fun.


M.F Do you think by playing out in Luton helped you hone your dj skills at university in Norwich?

D.B Yeah definitely, it worked both ways. Because when I was first playing out there was a big party scene in Luton, but also the night I do in Norwich called Pow which I still do are both very similar value. Both nights are Indie party based but at the same time have some very good dj’s. It defiantly helped playing out to different crowds in different parts of the country but both have similar vibes, which made it great.


M.F Do you think by also playing to similar crowds that helped you in terms of creating the mixes that you put up online?

D.B I improved as a dj from playing out; it’s a totally different experience from being a bedroom dj to playing out live. It was a really exciting transition to have especially at university because it was such a great place to do it.


M.F OK, So how about the perks of Djing I mean it’s a pretty sweet deal, free drinks and free entry is it about that for you or is it all about the music?

D.B For me dj’ing is always going to be a hobby, I am never going to become a superstar dj, although I would quite like to.


M.F But the people around us such as Craig & Alex are doing really well with it, I mean when you see those people do you feel a sense of pride seeing them do so well?

D.B Definitely especially for Craig and Alex, for me it’s still a hobby and it always will be. But for Crack Your Skull is definitely a big name in Bournemouth they are taking over the south really, playing out at some big nights in Bristol and when they played Nag, Nag, Nag in London which has finished now but was one of the best nights in country at the time. That was such a good night and it was wicked seeing your friends do it and make it, because they enjoy djing and they definitely wanna do it and it’s refreshing to see somebody have so much fun with it.


M.F Looking forward would you like to release any production in the future in a similar vein to what Alex (Victoria Wreckham) has done? Would you like to go into that area?

D.B It’s one of my New Year’s resolutions actually to make new tunes. When I was younger I used to be in a band and ive always been quite musical and enjoyed music a lot. I think that my drive now is to make dance music as opposed to rock music.


M.F Right, fantastic David Boa thank you

D.B oh no thank you.


David is currently working as a graphic designer in London; he can’t name them for some reason. In his spare time David is Dj’ing at the basement of Dark Party which is every Saturday at Manhattans in Luton. He also DJ’s at POW in Norwich also, look out for David playing out in London and most of southern England soon. David is currently produces mixes regularly this is his most recentThis is jackin' is available online, well worth a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment