Tuesday 28 April 2009

Luton Music profile-Paul Wood.

Luton Music Blog talking Metal & Two Tone with Paul Wood, and his love of the guitar he's never seen without one!



In this addition of the Luton music scene we are having a nice little chat with Paul Wood who plays guitar for Luton metal group Verses Akira . We’ll talk about Metal (obliviously) and also how Ska, Reggae & Funk have also formed the musical direction of this young man. Musically Paul cut his teeth playing crazy Van Halen solo’s at St Lukes church hall In Legrave. That was just before he made the decision to get into music. “I wasn't cool enough to get the girls I wanted, so I picked up a guitar at the age of 15! I haven't looked back since.”


But it took a number of years before those Van Halen solo’s could explode into life and it was at collage where Paul’s love for music erupted in a frantic metallic outburst. “My school had absolutely no music scene, up to the point that music lessons where cancelled for a year, which was a joke in my opinion! I really got into gigging and playing music live when I took it up at collage.” So at collage Paul found his feet and also fellow band member’s Dan, Jack, Arron & Alex to form Verses Arika. Who’s sound is pretty all out metal if you ask me. But Paul just laughs it off “is that a good thing?” he questions.


Speaking broadly the band are very full on metal and personally Paul notes “ I really enjoy techy metal stuff offered by Meshuggah and Sikth R.I.P.” he respectfully mentions “but also bands like Underoath & Killswitch Engage.” Then the Paul Drops the bombshell “Im really into Ska and Reggae too.” Im shocked, how can someone who initially looks very much ‘metal’ you can often spot him at the Edge getting his metal growl on upstairs most Tuesdays can pull up those tropical musical genre’s out of the bag. Paul laughs and calmly explains his off-key musical choices, “Well ive grown up with that stuff, bit of Reggae, Ska has been flying around the Wood household I just been into anything with a tight groove.”


Akira have been on a recent break to record their latest e.p something that has turned into a self confessed joke. “We were meant to have the EP out last year, but for various reasons it wasn't to be. Still, the wait has really done us some good, I guess the extra time has helped us refine the tracks. Hopefully people will hear a taste of things to come from the album: tight melodies, nice grooves, interesting chord progressions - that's what I'm trying to go for.” The bands exclusive first track is available on their myspace and is pretty tight, and upfront metal.

Taking time out to look at the rest of the scene Paul definitely agree’s that Luton is full of musical talent, and has special praise for a certain local promotions company. “DTA have always been there if we've needed shows, easy to get on with, they've got the whole process of running a gig down to a tee, and they manage to put on a lot of good bands.” But also Luton has had a current rise in acoustic acts and Paul fully supports Akira’s drummer Dan side project, and enthuises that “he delivers a fantastic show.”

It’s all about cross promotion these days and Verses Akira are well well equipped to get ahead of their game, they have recently got a manager which can only be a positive step forward. They seem to own the slickest Myspace ever known to man , and are also on Facebook and Twitter too. With the future looking bright Paul just wants the best for the band “I'd love to play festivals, and get touring - I work full time at the moment in an office, and I'd love to be able to ditch the job and just play guitar for a living.”

Paul has also thrown me some tunes he's into at the minute! so enjoy his choices!


1.Vices like Vipers by Oh, Sleeper - really original sounding band, heavy but not cliche, just a cool song




2.In Regards to Myself by Underoath - the whole album's great, I just picked this track coz it's what I'm listening to Spotify right now....

3. Finally Ghost Town by the Specials ;) - it's a classic, and I don't want everyone thinking I just listen to metal!



The Luton Music Pod is coming! cheak out the exclusive Twitter based content here ! with special download clips! so get involved!



No comments:

Post a Comment